Psalms 136, Pharaoh's Army and Chariot wheels at the bottom of the Red Sea in the 20th century



Growing up in Christian school I’d heard the story of God leading the Israelites out of Egypt more than your average kid to say the least.  I’d always known about Pharaoh's Army drowning in the Red Sea and even reenacted the story several times in skits and plays. I’d heard my Pastors preach many sermons, my teachers explain in great detail and even sang songs in church glorifying the event. But it was never as real to me then as it is now...
The other day while reading Psalms 136 I was listening to a song in which the lyrics sang, “...cause Pharaoh’s army don’t yah know God drown them in the Red Sea!” 
I am a naturally inquisitive person - I wonder not due to lack of faith but just because I am a curious person. I wonder what other people must think about this story, people who say things like “There is no such thing as God...”  or “ I don’t believe in the Bible”  I wonder if they think it’s just a made up story... 
These thoughts bring me to google images- I type in two words:    ‘Red Sea’ 
and I soon see pictures of a long narrow sea dividing a strip of land. Internally a battle begins- I wonder if its really that deep or if the Israelites just waded across seeking safety on the other side. But just as instantly as the thought crosses my mind- I see images of people deep sea diving in the Red Sea. I see pictures of sunken boats... assuming the mindset of a Biblical critic I think again, ‘If all this really happened and its not just a story then there would still be pieces left...evidence of an entire Army doesn’t just disappear’  
But just as quickly as this thought crosses my mind I see an image of what looks like a golden wheel- I click it and see a story from the 1970’s about how a diver found the remains of chariot's and chariot wheels. And how the Egyptian government took a wheel he brought up from undersea - authenticated it- stating it dated from the 1400B.C. era and then made it illegal to recover any more items from the underwater area.  (read more about this discovery here)

Mineralized bone, one of many found at the under water 
crossing site 


Psalm 136
Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. 
    His love is eternal.
Give thanks to the God of gods.
For to the age is His kindness.
 Give thanks to the Lord of lords. 
His lovingkindness endures forever.
He alone does great wonders. 
 His mercy endures forever.
He made the heavens skillfully. 
His love continues forever.
He spread the land on the waters. 
 His steadfast love endures forever.
He made the great lights: 
His faithful love endures forever.
 He made the sun to rule by day,
 His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever.
 ...the moon and stars to rule by night. 
 His love never quits.
 He struck the firstborn of the Egyptians 
 His mercy endures forever.
   and brought Israel out from among them
 His mercy endures forever.
 with a strong hand and outstretched arm. 
  His mercy endures forever.
 He divided the Red Sea 
 His mercy endures forever.
    and led Israel through, 
 His mercy endures forever.
but hurled Pharaoh and his army
    into the Red Sea
   His mercy endures forever.

The realness of God is undeniable - when He chooses to move in our lives it is unfathomably beautiful.  
Be blessed and a blessing brothers and sisters in Christ. I am praying for you!
R.Calloway 

Comments

Unknown said…
israel? dont u think they did wrong invading palestine?
That was way after what's going on in this story. Those events and God's hand in this story don't really coincide.